Monday, July 26, 2010

Happiness

Good Day Everyone!

I prayed this morning as I went to get out my Bible and prayer journal, as I do each time I write. I asked the Lord to guide me as I write to Him and to you. I sat down near the computer, and checked my email. I noticed a subject headline from Oprah’s newsletter. It read, “What does it really take to be happy?” I didn’t read it. Actually, I thought I had unsubscribed from her newsletter some time ago. (I pray that in her spiritual journey, she will truly find Jesus Christ. I continue to pray for her.)

Then, I happened to turn to some of my notes from a sermon dated, November, 2008, it said, “Happiness depends largely on our circumstances, but joy is more of a quiet confidence in God and His promises. As you look at your own life, can you identify any sources of joy that have influenced you even when you weren’t happy?”

The answer I had written was, “Whenever I have prayed earnestly about something, and then found the answers in God’s Word and circumstances in my life.” Reflecting on that answer, I realize it was true then, and always has been true for me since becoming a child of God. I can’t think of a greater joy or thrill to know that God is speaking to me as an individual. Even though His words come from the Bible, written for all mankind, you know without a doubt the words that He led you to read at that moment are meant for you. So, often too, He uses outside sources to confirm it. A friend will say something, or you will read it somewhere else, the church sermon will bring it up, etc. However He chooses to communicate it, He causes His Spirit within you to recognize it is Him giving you the answer.

As I write to you the Lord is showing me that is the answer to Oprah’s question. True happiness is as our pastor stated, “...a quiet confidence in God and His promises.” When I experience the joy of His personal attention, it gives me confidence in God and His promises. It is proof to me. It gives me hope and contentment KNOWING that He is right there with me, giving me true happiness.

Does He always answer me immediately? No, but that is when I need to remember the times He has answered my prayers. (See my aforementioned keeping a list of answered prayers.) I may have to walk blindly for a while, trusting that He has a plan for my life.
He has a plan for yours too!

Think about this, if you knew the plan, you wouldn’t have to pray every day!

John 15: 10 & 11 (Jesus’ Words) “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments, and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, and that your JOY may be made FULL.” (My capitalization!)

He is in Control!

Susan

Please pray for: Colby's healing
Bonnie's healing of her tumor
Sandy's successful surgery (or I'm asking for a miraculous
healing if it is God's Will)
Miriam's upcoming surgery on her hip (Aug.14)
Nancy for a job
I think Joan was a typing error on my last
blog, but because the Lord doesn't make
mistakes, thank you for praying for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment