Monday, October 25, 2010

Today

From Sandy -

Today I had lunch with a friend and former co-worker. She knows all about my surgery as her husband was in the same hospital, same floor as me at the same time I was there. I had not fully heard the story of how her husband shattered his leg, but I did today. He fell off a shed he was building and landed on a concrete planter. His leg was shattered everywhere as well as his foot - the bones were so shattered that his foot was turned almost backwards. This happened back in March and he still cannot walk. He has had so many surgeries and was actually in intensive care for a while. This friend's sister is young with four children and found out a year ago last August that she has stage 4 lung cancer. She has never smoked and has not been around anything that she knows of that would have caused it. It breaks my heart that my friend is going through all of this. However, it has brought her to her knees. She has turned to God and has asked for his help. My prayers go out to her for strength and to her husband and sister. I can't imagine what they have been through.

I thought that I had a bad year, but nothing compares to what my friend has been through. Having spent time with her today, I went away feeling that what I went through was nothing. I could see her fighting back tears as she was sharing with me about her "baby" sister. I'm so glad that my friend has sought God out through all of this. She came from a country where she was not allowed to worship God, so this is kind of new for her. She's assumed the role of nurse for her husband and goes with her sister to her medical appointments. She has tried to shield her sister from hearing the "worst" and is trying to instill hope in her. I told her that as long as we believe in God, there is always hope.

Cancer is such a horrible disease!

I would just like to ask anyone who reads this blog to consider praying for my friend, her husband and her sister. I am sorry I can't provide names, but God will know who you are praying for.

No comments:

Post a Comment