Friday, October 8, 2010

Being Grateful

From Sandy -

I have spent some time studying my reactions to things and have noticed that I am not as grateful as I should be for what I have. Yesterday I really felt better than I have the whole time since my surgery so I looked at this past year (which I have called a nightmare) and thought of all the ways I have been blessed. I don't do this very often, so it was a revelation to me to find how many times I was blessed even though I did experience alot of worry, distress and turmoil.

I tend to overlook blessings and dwell on the troubles in my life. I don't know where this falls in God's list of sins, but I know it is sinful to be negative. There's the following verse (please forgive me I know it's in the New Testament, but I can't remember where) - that tells us what we should think about and what we should dwell upon -
"Finally brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report, if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things."

Even though I felt sometimes like I was walking through a fiery furnace, the Lord blessed me in so many ways. When I first found out I had to have this surgery - I panicked. I turned to the Lord for peace of mind and hope. Although it took me a few weeks to get there, the Lord blessed me with both of these. I was able to take a vacation and see my sister up in Washington during this time. The scenery was some of the most beautiful I have ever seen and I found God's love and peace up there in the beautiful Northwest. When I came home and had to really face the reality of the surgery, I had friends that reached out to me and held my hand through the days of waiting and anxiety. I had Jesus to put his arms around me and whisper to me that he would see me through this. Both my sister and daughter had colonoscopies and there were no polyps found in either one of them. My little puppy who broke his leg is now completely healed - he is bouncing around everywhere on his "mended" leg. I was worried about finances and God has blessed us in that respect too. I have found out who my "true" friends are and I am so blessed to have them as lifelong friends. I am basically healthy and cancer free. God knit me back together during the first surgery and will complete his healing in the second surgery. I have gotten to know the Lord in a very personal and real way. I have heard him and know that He loves me. For these things and many more I am truly blessed and I am so very grateful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment