Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Surgery Update

From Sandy -

I saw my surgeon on Monday and he and I both agreed that it would be best to wait for my second surgery until after the holidays. That way I won't be "home bound" after the surgery. I am happy that he agreed with me. The second surgery will be attaching the j-pouch to my intestine. My body will need time to get used to working this way as the intestine was using the bag instead of the j-pouch. I have to admit I am not looking forward to this, but know that the results will be "no more bag". I will be heading to the bathroom up to 20 times a day after my second surgery. So I will be "home bound" until my body develops the strength and muscle to control things. Having never experienced anything like this, I find myself fearing the unknown. But just as I faced the unknown with the first surgery - I will face this unknown as well. It will be such a relief to be rid of the ostomy bag. I am so grateful that I am able to have this procedure done.

The doctor needs to do a procedure on November 17 to check and make sure that the j-pouch is healing and has no holes in it. To do this, I will be fasting for 48 hours. I don't know how I can stand not eating for 48 hours, but I have to do it. I can tell you - this is a great way to lose weight. The problem is that I get kind of weak if I don't eat for 6 hours, so I will have to drink lots of clear liquids - such as chicken broth and juices to give me the fortitude I need to get through this.

Again, this new challenge brings me on my knees to the Lord. What would I do if I didn't believe? I can't imagine not believing in a higher power. I can't imagine not believing in God. I can't imagine not believing that Jesus is our Savior and he paid the price for our sinful ways. There are times that I do have doubts - but they don't last very long. I sometimes wonder why He would love me as He does. I absolutely know that God is with us every second of every day. He has preserved my life and always I will trust him. In spite of trials, he makes my heart glad and I always always have hope in him. I know he will see me through this second surgery and he will give me the hope, strength and courage to get through the trials that I will face after the surgery. He will knit me back together as he knit me in my mother's womb. He will bless me and guide me through the healing process. Nothing is too hard for the Lord!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes He loves you! I do too! I'll be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep faith in the Almighty and the Doctor, Your surgery will go on without any difficulties and you will recover quickly. May the lord give you strength to overcome this testing time.

    ReplyDelete