Saturday, November 13, 2010

Procedure on Wednesday

From Sandy -

Two weeks ago I found out I had to go in for a procedure to assure the surgeon that the j-pouch formed out of my intestine is healing properly. When I got a call regarding my appointment for this procedure, the caller told me I would have to fast from Sunday night through Wednesday morning (since my appointment is on Wed., Nov. 17 at 1:00 p.m.) and I would also have to take laxative, suppositories and drink some awful stuff. For some reason this just didn't make any sense to me. I don't have the normal bowel system that everyone else has. My waste empties into a bag and I don't even have a rectum. Drinking only clear liquids for what turns out to be 65 hours for this procedure would be almost unbearable unless I was fasting to starve myself. I worried and fretted about all of this and constantly had it on my mind. I called the technician in Imaging at Kaiser and she told me I would have to go through all of the above preparations. I called the message center where my surgeon is located and the nurse who answered didn't know what to tell me. She told me to talk to the nurse in Imaging. I talked to the nurse in Imaging and she said I didn't have a colon so I didn't have to do any of the preparation. Next day I got a notice in the mail that included all of the above preparations for my procedure. To say the least, I was very confused. Relieved about what the Nurse in Imaging told me, but doubting what she said since I had just gotten mailed instructions to fast, take laxative, drink the awful stuff and take the two suppositories. Again, I called the nurse who took messages for my doctor and told her about my dilemma. I told her I was really confused as to what to do. I didn't want to show up for this procedure and not be prepared. Great News - the nurse got a note back from my doctor that I don't have to do any of the preparations. I am so relieved. Taking the stuff didn't bother me, but not eating for 65 hours most certainly bothered me. Just goes to show you - what you fret and worry about most of the time never happens.

I am anxious to find out how this j-pouch has healed. I feel perfectly fine at this point and cannot complain about any aches or pains. So, I feel that the j-pouch has healed properly. I can't believe how God has blessed me through all of this. I know He will continually help me and I will continually come to Him in prayer. I believe that God goes with me and will not fail me.

No comments:

Post a Comment