Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Saying "No"

To start off today, I'd like to say that I'm hoping you will make comments or suggest a topic that we might discuss. Until then, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, hoping I'm taking this in the right direction, and what I'm sharing is meaningful to someone, and that this blog is worth visiting!

Something that I struggle with is part of my family (1 brother, 3 sisters). A quick synopsis -- only one has a job. Most of them are involved in drugs.

I'm the oldest. My husband and I have worked hard and tried to be responsible adults. Over the years, my brother and sisters have called asking for financial assistance, and usually, I have given it to them. As the years have passed, I have become resentful. Then, I beat myself up for not being a "cheerful giver". If I say no, which I have done a few times, I feel guilty for not being a good Christian.

I recently contacted my pastor about it. He said that I'm not obligated to help. First, because they are doing illegal things. Secondly, by my helping, I'm getting in the way of God's disciplining them. I had never considerd either of these things. I have since reassured myself by going through the scriptures. It is amazing to me how many times the Bible teaches about the importance of working.

I confess that I do still struggle with it. It still isn't easy for me to say no.

Trying to follow in His footsteps,

Susan

2 Thessalonians 3:10 "For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone will not work, neither let him eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all!"

You may have seen this, but I love it. I believe it is another physical sign from our Heavenly Father! It is referred to as the "Eye of God". It is a composite photo taken by the Hubble Telescope!

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap030510.html

No comments:

Post a Comment