Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Star

From Sandy -

When I lost my Mother - it was like losing part of myself. She was my Mom, my best friend, my confidante and I loved her with all my heart and soul. There's still an empty place in my heart that she used to fill. I remember one night walking my dog and seeing this twinkling star in the sky that shown so brightly flashing orange and green and blue and red. As I gazed at that star, I felt my Mother's presence. I know that she is in heaven - there's absolutely no doubt about that. And, I have experienced her with me every time I see that star in the night sky. It is always a reminder to me that she is not that far away. I lost my Father a couple of years ago and I experienced the same feeling as I saw "my" star. I felt that he was close by and I remember looking up at that star and talking to him as I walked along a dark street of our neighborhood.

These feelings are not powerful, but just like a gentle breeze that is here and gone in a moment. I don't understand it, but I am greatful that God continues to bless me by reminding me that my beloved parents are with Him and watching over me.

Turns out, the way our world is going, they are better off being with the Lord. I am so disappointed in things happening every day and I know that my parents would be crushed.

My Dad was in the Navy during World War II and loved his country. My Mom and Dad didn't have alot, but what they had, they always had enough to give to others. My parents made sure that my sister and I had everything we needed as we grew up. Sometimes, we also got what we wanted. My Mom would go from grocery store to grocery store trying to get the bargains so she could save money. My Dad raised a garden, and we always had fresh vegetables. To us, eating out meant going to the Grinder and eating those huge grinder sandwiches. They couldn't afford to take us to fancy restaurants, but we loved eating those delicious sandwiches.

I am reminiscing here about better times. Growing up in the 50's and 60's was wonderful. Not like today. I'm just greatful for having experienced a "slower" pace of living and a country that was "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" and where everyone used to say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" instead of "HAPPY HOLIDAYS".

I miss my parents and those wonderful times of my youth. However, there's a bright twinkling star that tells me there's better times ahead and loved ones waiting. They are only a breath away. But for now, in my little corner of the world, I pray for my nation to once again be "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" and I will say "MERRY CHRISTMAS" to anyone who comes along at this time of year. I will worship Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and talk to my granddaughter about the "real" meaning of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment